“If life throws you a lemon – make lemonade.” [Joan Collins]
One of my daily goals is to drink warm water with lemon first thing in the morning
There are many benefits to drinking warm water and lemon including:
- It is a gentle way of waking the body up after a nights sleep.
- Hot water and lemon is an excellent, natural laxative that can help with constipation.
- It has a detoxing effect by helping to alkalise the body and remove toxins.
- Water and lemon can be an effective mouthwash, cleansing all the bacteria that cause bad breath away.
- Hot lemon water helps reduce water retention in the body.
- Since lemon is a natural diuretic, lemon water is especially good for people with urinary tract infections.
- Lemon water can also help cleanse the liver by dissolving uric acid and other poisons.
- Lemon juice is full of vitamin C, vitamin B and calcium. Lemon juice is a great source of Vitamin C which supports the immune function.
I have personally experienced many of the benefits listed above and therefore recommend starting the day with one glass of warm water and the lemon juice from 1/2 a fresh lemon (lemon juice in a bottle works just as well as juice from a fresh lemon). If you find this too bitter you could add 1/2 a teaspoon of honey or some sweetener. I have also read that mixing it with green tea can be a nice variation.